If you want to extract the text that you have commented on or highlighted in a PDF file, you will need to download a Zotero plugin called ZotFile. Follow the steps below to download Zotfile.
1. Download Zotfile from Zotfile.com and save it to the Downloads folder on your computer.
2. Open up Zotero on your desktop and select Tools and Add-ons in the drop-down menu.
3. This will open up the Add-ons Manager. From the wheel icon on the top right-hand corner, select Install Add-on From File.
4. Select Zotfile from the Downloads folder on your computer, and Install Now. Zotfile is an approved plugin for Zotero and so you can ignore the warning message.
5. Re-start Zotero. This will ensure Zotfile is added to Zotero.
6. To check that Zotfile has installed correctly, go back to Tools and ZotFile Preferences should now appear at the bottom of the list of options.
You can extract annotations you've made on a PDF file, in order to do so you will have to download Zotfile first, if you haven't downloaded already.
To extract annotations: