Data management should be a process used to identify the resources that will be needed to run a project effectively:
- What data management policies are you expected to comply with?
- Will be creating new data, or analysing existing data?
- If you are going to work with existing data, do you need permission to access and re-use or is it freely available under license?
- Where will you store this data to make sure it is not lost or damaged?
- Will you adopt record keeping or quality control standards?
- Will you archive your data and share it with others at the end of the project?
- Will data protection laws apply to your work?
To help with your planning, consider writing a data management plan document.